Recovering From Addiction
Recovering From Addiction
Nutrients are depleted by substance abuse.
There is no doubt that anyone actively abusing drugs or alcohol will become undernourished. The drugs and alcohol often replace regular meals, and may even affect appetite, resulting in a lack of nutrients that are available to your body. In addition, nutrients can be depleted by the digestive upsets that may occur as a result of the substance abuse.
Drugs and alcohol use causes inadequate absorption of nutrients. To make matters worse, alcohol and drugs can also impair your body’s ability to absorb and make use of the nutrients in the foods you eat. This is particularly true of certain proteins and the B vitamins.
Therefore, a recovering addict has a more urgent need for nutrient dense foods that will allow the damaged tissues and organs to heal so that the body can function as it should.
Although eating healthy is only one aspect of a successful recovery from substance abuse, by taking care of your body, your chances of success will be greatly increased.
Get professional help.
If you are struggling with drug or alcohol abuse, before you do anything else, be sure to seek some professional help. There are many fine treatment programs available, including the Atlanta alcohol rehab, that will get you started on the road to recovery.
Here is a list of healthy eating tips that also may help you.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods, including protein-rich foods, fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy fats to help heal your body and keep you feeling well.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Eat on a regular schedule to avoid cravings and to lessen the likelihood of relapse.
- Take a good vitamin-mineral supplement to help restore the levels of these nutrients that may have been affected by substance abuse.
- If caffeine affects your mood or irritates your digestive tract, you may need to avoid it.
- Avoid junk foods since they are generally loaded with sugar, salt and other chemicals that are counterproductive to your recovering good health.
Some recovery tips that are not food related.
- As stated before, get some support by checking out facilities such as the Atlanta Drug Rehab center.
- Stay active doing things you enjoy.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night.
- Stop smoking, unless it will make recovery too difficult.
- Feed your spirit with prayer, meditation and by helping others.
I know you can succeed in recovering from addiction!
Click here to go from Recovering from Addiction page to Healthy Eating Support Home page.
Sign up to receive emails of my blog
�ª Grab this Headline Animator
Oct 27, 16 09:25 AM
A list of vegetarian protein sources to help those who are pursuing a vegetarian diet or who wish to include some meatless meals in their diet.
Oct 26, 16 09:47 AM
A quick list of Nutrition Facts to help you reach your goal of eating healthy.
Oct 25, 16 09:16 AM
Healthy Menu plan provides examples of healthy meals, including breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks, along with information about serving sizes for all food groups.
Have a question about eating healthy?
Get answers to your healthy eating questions.