The study of nutrition is about what you eat and how it affects the energy and vitality you need to enjoy your life. The truism that “Health is Wealth” cannot be overstated. Health is one of those things that if you have it, you can focus on other things, and if you don’t, it will be all that you can focus on. And wellness does not come about by accident. It is a conscious, purposeful approach to living that requires at least a little knowledge about nutrition.
Here is a quick list of nutrition facts for your information. If you need more specific information on any topic, you can click on the links provided.
1. There are five nutrient groups: Protein, Fats, Carbohydrates, Vitamins, Minerals, Water.
2. Protein and Carbohydrates provide 4 calories per gram, and Fats provide 9 calories per gram.
3. Vitamins, Minerals and Water do not provide calories.
4. You need to eat a variety of foods to provide nutrients from each category every day.
5. A deficiency in any nutrient group will eventually cause health problems.
6. Although, not generally listed as a separate nutrient, Fiber is also necessary for your health and well-being.
7. Empty calories are those foods, usually processed, that provide little or no nutrition, but at the same time add calories.
8. Vegetables that are lightly cooked or eaten raw have the most nutritional benefit.
9. Water is necessary for many of your body’s functions.
10. Although nutrient requirements may vary based on age, gender and nutritional status, there is a direct correlation between the nutrients in your diet and your general health.
They're called "habits" for a reason!
Changing long established habits is one of the most difficult things that you will ever do. There may even be underlying reasons why the old, unhealthy habits seem to have so much power over you. If that’s the case, you may need to get professional guidance or therapy to help deal with those issues.
Nevertheless, the matchless benefits of eating healthy are so powerful, that I hope you will take the time to learn what eating behaviors will lead to a healthy life, and then commit to making those changes, whatever it takes.
Get answers to your healthy eating questions.
Answers to your questions...
Sign up to receive emails of my blog
Bright Hope International brings hope to those living on less than $1 a day. Every little bit you can give will help these kids toward a healthy future. Thank you in advance for your kindness.
How to Use This Site
BOOKMARK this site or add it to your Favorites.
Become an informed eater by clicking on the NUTRITION button and reading the general information there.
Check back whenever you have a question about your diet, meal planning, nutrition, specific foods or any healthy eating issues. Use the SITE SEARCH function to track down your particular concern.
Try some of the free recipes available on the site by clicking on the RECIPES button.
E-mail me if you cannot find what you are looking for, if you feel that any of the information on the site is not accurate, or just to say hello!