A versatile meatless meatball recipe that can be enjoyed with a variety of sauces or even used to make a yummy meatball sandwich!
Recipe MEATLESS “MEATBALLS”
1 large onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced*
1 Tablespoon olive oil
6 large eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded cheese, your choice
1 cup ground walnuts or pecans
Pinch of basil
Pinch of oregano
1 teaspoon sage
Whole wheat bread crumbs, oatmeal and/or other dry crumbs
Instructions for Recipe Meatballs:
Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft. Combine beaten eggs, cheese, nuts and spices and stir to blend.
Add onion mixture and blend. Add enough crumbs to allow you to form soft “meatballs.” Place “meatballs” in oiled pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until browned. Serve with your favorite sauce.
Notes for Recipe Meatballs:
1) This recipe may be served with spaghetti and sauce, stroganoff sauce, sweet-sour sauce, or your favorite sauce. You can also use these “meatballs” as an appetizer by making small, bite-size “meatballs” and serving with homemade barbecue sauce. See recipe below.
2) You can use a prepared stuffing mix in place of the crumbs and spices.
3) You can adjust the spices to your taste—more or less—and based on how you will serve the “meatballs.” If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can substitute garlic powder to taste.
4) Be sure not to make the “meatballs” too dry. They should just stick together when you form them. Some of the liquid will be absorbed during cooking, especially if you use some oatmeal as part of the crumbs.
5) You can cut the recipe in half, or use half for one type of sauce and the other for another type of sauce.
6) Leftover “meatballs” with spaghetti sauce make great “meatball” sandwiches.
7) *A head or bulb of garlic usually contains about 10 cloves. 1 clove = 1 teaspoon chopped garlic = 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic = 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder = 1/2 teaspoon garlic flakes = 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic = 1/2 teaspoon garlic juice
2 Tablespoons butter
1 small onion, minced (optional)
1 cup Ketchup (good brand with no HFCS, naturally sweetened, if possible)
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar or Molasses, depending on your taste
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
Cook onion in butter until soft. Add other ingredients and simmer on Low for 15 minutes. Pour over bite-sized “meatballs.”
1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits in its own juice, drained, reserve juice
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Tablespoons raw sugar
2 Tablespoons Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch, or other thickener
1/2 cup water
Combine reserved pineapple juice with water, soy sauce, and vinegar in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until warmed. Add cornstarch and sugar, using a whisk to blend.
Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
Add pineapple tidbits and green pepper, cover and simmer on Low for about 15 minutes. Serve with “meatballs” and brown rice.
Enjoy Recipe Meatballs.
Get answers to your healthy eating questions.
Answers to your questions...
Sign up to receive emails of my blog
Bright Hope International brings hope to those living on less than $1 a day. Every little bit you can give will help these kids toward a healthy future. Thank you in advance for your kindness.
How to Use This Site
BOOKMARK this site or add it to your Favorites.
Become an informed eater by clicking on the NUTRITION button and reading the general information there.
Check back whenever you have a question about your diet, meal planning, nutrition, specific foods or any healthy eating issues. Use the SITE SEARCH function to track down your particular concern.
Try some of the free recipes available on the site by clicking on the RECIPES button.
E-mail me if you cannot find what you are looking for, if you feel that any of the information on the site is not accurate, or just to say hello!